League and County Cup roundup - October 14th

8 months ago By Richard Lane

Today's news and scorers from league and cup.

Photo of Retford v AFC Bentley by kind permission of Jon Knight

Friday night football paid dividends again as a crowd of 206 turned out for the very local Station Road derby in the Black Dragon Badges North division between Collingham and Newark Town. The respective league positions were reflected in the scoreline, the home side winning 5-1. Collingham were quickly into action Ash Coatsworth and George Asplin putting them two up in the first 12 minutes which was the score at the interval. Sid Costa got a third on the hour and further goals from Jackson Buckthorp and Marlon Grundy emphasised the hosts' dominance before Rikki Peterson got a consolation goal two minutes from time.
With leaders Harworth Colliery in County Cup action, Retford had the chance to regain top spot, but couldnt quite manage it, drawing 2-2 with AFC Bentley.The Retford goals were scored by Luke Tong and Will Tomlinson, with Zack King and Bradley Maddison replying for Bentley. Clay Cross Town recorded their sixth win out of seven with a 3-0 defeat of Phoenix at Mill Lane. George Slack put the Millers in front on 20 minutes, Aiden Ordidge doubling the lead with 34 minutes played. Phoenix were reduced to ten men on the hour through injury and saw their numbers further reduced ten minutes later after a red card, the home side rounding off their victory with a Nathan Jessop goal six minutes from the end. Appleby Frodingham kept in touch with the leading group after a 2-1 win at Dinnington Town. Brendan O'Callaghan opened the scoring with 33 minutes on the clock, Luke Robinson putting Frod two up three minutes into the second half. Dinnington replied immediately, Hussein Salem with the goal, but couldn't claw back a second. Renishaw Rangers recorded their second win in seven days to vacate the bottom spot, their 2-1 win at Tideswell United relegating Newark Town to the basement. Goals from Jason Short and Jack Goodall did the trick, with Jack Bradbury almost inevitably scoring for Tideswell. The lack of a finisher proved Welbeck Lions downfall in their 3-0 defeat by Thorne Colliery at Elkesley Road. Chris Hancock scored with a header in the first minute to put Thorne ahead and got a second six minutes before half time. Welbeck had plenty of possession but couldn't find find a finishing touch, Aiden Marshall getting the visitors a third with a well judged chip over the keeper midway through the second half. A last minute equaliser from Declan Jenkins rescued a point for Staveley reserves at Lincoln Moorlands Railway. Ash Bartle gave the visitors a first half lead, but Moorlands struck twice in the first ten minutes of the second period, Josh Martin and Simon Mowbray finding the net, Jenkins last ditch leveller securing the draw.
Pinxton opened up a two point lead in the Black Dragon Badges South division with an overwhelming 9-1 win against AFC Kilburn. The first half saw Pinxton run up a six goal lead with a Jack Hawkins hat trick, two from Pete Stubley and one for Jay Cooper. Things slowed down somewhat after half time, Stubley completing his own treble and Liam Green and Scott Graham rounding things off. Aaron Coyle was the Kilburn scorer. Sherwood Colliery left it very late to maintain their unbeaten status, a Jordan Harris equaliser in their 1-1 draw at home to Blidworth Welfare coming in added time after Blidworth had taken a 51st minute lead through Aiden Harris. There were plenty of goals at Coronation Park, Eastwood Community joining opponents Hilton Harriers on 18 points after beating them 8-1. Harry Allen scored the first of his hat trick in the 9th minute, Greg Conn adding a second before a burst of three in five minutes from Danny Hayes, Paddy Webb and Allen again put the result beyond doubt. Second half goals from Conn, Allen and Joe Butler completed the Red Badgers blitz before Jason North scored a late consolation for the visitors. Seven goals and seven scorers for Swanwick as they returned from Keyworth United with a 7-2 win. The Swans goals were shared between Richard Wall, Olly Cox, Chris Turner, Shane Buckerfield, Henry Brooks, Dave Robinson and Guy Wilding with James Price and Matt Antcliff getting on the scoresheet for Keyworth. Three goals in eight minutes of the first half were sufficient for Hucknall Town to record their sixth win in seven against Teversal reserves. Joe Ashurst opened the scoring in 26 minutes, Jordan Phillips doubled the score four minutes later, Ashurst completing the scoring with 34 minutes played. Holbrook St Michaels picked up only their second win of the season 2-1 at South Normanton with Paul Fisher and Mike Smith claiming the goalscoring honours. Linby Colliery came from behind to win 3-2 at Aslockton & Orston. Pierce Hallam put the home side ahead on 20 minutes but Linby fought back, Chris Hall and Kye Pilmore putting them ahead. Matt James levelled the scores but Linby had the last word, Will Horton notching the winner.
In the Macron Store Stoke Division One, Cromford had must be considered their best result so far, going down to a single Ricky Saxby goal at home to Hucknall Town, only three days after losing 8-1 to the same opposition in the Cup. Kieran Knight took his tally to 19 with two goals for Eastwood Community as they won 3-1 at Harworth Colliery. Owen Everton was the other Eastwood scorer, Tom Pick with the Harworth reply. The points were shared at Retford United as they drew 1-1 with Mickleover Sports, Richard Williams for Retford, Jermaine Palmer for Sports.
There was one outstanding tie in the Notts FA Intermediate Cup, Radford reserves beating their counterparts from Selston with a Duma Mansi goal five minutes from time to earn a home tie against Bingham Town in round two.
Harworth's interest in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup for this season came to an end as they crashed out 5-0 at Swinton Athletic.
There were mixed results for our teams in the Derbyshire FA Divisional Cup. In the North section all three ties went to extra time. A Brad Marshall double and a Marcus Beddoe goal saw Matlock Town Reserves home 3-1 at Chapel Town, while Wirksworth Town's tie at Rowsley 86 was decided on penalties. The score after extra time was 3-3, Wirksworth scorers were Lewis Land with two and Josh Middleton. The visitors won the shootout 4-2. Dronfield Town reserves were not so fortunate, after finishing the 90 minutes at 2-2, they were beaten 4-3 by Buxworth. In the southern half, Heanor Town were the only winners as they beat Punjab United 4-1 thanks to goals from Nathan Stone (2), Josh Clifton and Kyle Daley. Paul Roome got both of the AFC Kilburn goals in a 5-2 loss to Derby Singh Brothers, Jordan Abbott and Jordi Samuels scored for Holbrook St Michaels as they went down 3-2 to Little Eaton and finally Swanwick lost 4-2 at Gresley after extra time.
Richard Lane

Where next?

League Cup and Vase roundup - October 21st All the news from a busy day in the FA Vase and League Cup
Midweek Roundup for October 11th A brief summary of the midweek matches

Match centre


Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.