League and Cup roundup for February 16th

By Richard Lane

All the action from the afternoon's matches

Photo of Retford v Newark Town courtesy of Jon Knight

With spring in the air, the semi-finalists in the Buckingham Insurance League Cup were decided this afternoon as Hucknall Town, Retford United and Swanwick joined Pinxton in the last four. Hucknall saw off the challenge of Staveley reserves, winning 4-0 at Watnall Road. Jamie Crawford’s brace on 18 and 42 minutes saw Hucknall comfortably ahead by half time. Joe Ashurst got the third on the hour, with Adam Nelson completing the scoring seven minutes from time. Retford United also won by four clear goals, their win over Mickleover RBL ensuring that the North division has a representative in the semis. All the goals came in the second half with Retford scoring three in the space of eight minutes, Ollie Lawrence’s 47th minute opener being added to by Jimmy Eyles and a Tom Brooks overhead kick, Eyles getting his second with 76 minutes on the clock. Swanwick were 3-1 winners against Underwood Villa, the goals coming from Guy Wilding, Zak Melrose and Henry Brooks, Underwood replying with a Joe Welsh strike.

Holbrook Sports put a severe dent in Pinxton’s championship ambitions in the Black Dragon Badges South division as they ran out 3-1 winners at Shaw Lane. Holbrook led through a Jordan Lee goal at the break but the turning point came when Pinxton missed a 54th minute penalty then conceded a second goal three minutes later, Chris Dring the scorer. Ryan Fitzhugh got the third in 74 minutes with Pete Stubley reducing the arrears ten minutes from the end. Matlock Town reserves went five points clear at the top with a 2-1 win at Linby Colliery. Tris Whitman gave Linby an early lead, but second half goals from Harry Wood and Brad Lathall gave Matlock a slim advantage with Linby hitting the woodwork twice. At last a win for Welbeck Lions, a 93rd minute goal from sub Derrick Miller giving them all three points at the expense of Hilton Harriers in a game with few scoring opportunities. Ashland rovers ended a run of eight straight defeats with a 4-2 defeat of Teversal reserves. There were two goals each for Paul Revuelta and Matt Hubbard. Teversal replied with strikes from Liam Fox and Ben Agbakosi.

The top three in the Black Dragon Badges North division all gained maximum points. Clay Cross resumed after a three week break, travelling to AFC Bentley and winning 3-2. Ant Lynam got the Millers off to the perfect start with a goal in the 3rd minute and after Bentley were reduced to ten men, Callam Lytham got a second on 18. The hosts fought back, Theo Mowatt getting one back from the penalty spot five minutes later and levelling matters on the half hour. The scores remained level until four minutes from time when Joel Holland got the winner. Retford also won against a fast-improving Newark Town side, the final score 4-2 in the home side’s favour. George Pearce opened the scoring for the home side in the 15th minute, Adam Scott firing home a second ten minutes later. Newark retaliated with a Kieran Job goal from a free kick before Scott got his second on the stroke of half time. James Evans reduced the arrears again on 56 minutes, Retford finally having some breathing space in the first minute of added time when Oli Bilham got the fourth. Collingham’s Ryan Rushen scored twice from the penalty spot in his side’s 3-0 defeat of Askern. Rushen slotted home in the 35th and 54th minutes with Jake Park getting the third just after the hour mark. Renishaw Rangers were 4-1 winners at bottom side Thorne Colliery. After a goalless first half Nathan James was put through to fire Renishaw ahead, Jordan Parsons increasing the lead from close range. Thorne replied with a goal from Nick Howcroft, but the visitors dominated the last quarter, Parsons scoring from the penalty spot before showing good skill to complete his hat trick. Appleby Frodingham made it five wins from six as they were 4-0 winners at Dinnington Town. Nathan Watson was quick out of the blocks, scoring after just three minutes, Danny Boulton doubling the lead on 28. Watson’s second just on half time was followed by an Alex Grimes goal in the 53rd minute to complete the scoring.

In the Macron Store Stoke Division One North, Crowle Colts picked up another three points after a 2-1 win over Hucknall Town. Rick Girling scored for Crowle after 8 minutes and Macauley Spencer levelled with a penalty before the visitors were reduced to ten men following an injury. Crowle were themselves left a man down after a red card but got the winner with a goal from Danny Smyth in the 79th minute. Epworth Town Colts were 3-1 winners at Harworth Colliery thanks to goals from Oliver Bradbury, Harrison Coley and Matt Muldoon with Greg Fox on target for Harworth. Retford United made it three wins in a row, Hayden Rush and Sam Harty the scorers in a 2-0 win at Shirebrook Rangers. Sutton Rovers were the day’s top scorers as they put eleven past basement side Welbeck Lions. There was a hat trick for Luke Chambers, two each from Adrian Parker, Callum Stockton and Tommy Hyde on his debut with the others coming from Ryan walker and Mitch Wain.

Sherwood Colliery march on in the Macron Store Stoke South division as they took their unbeaten run to fourteen games after a 5-0 defeat of hosts Chesterfield Town. Scorers for the Wood were Mickey Taylor with two, Keenan Leeds, Liam West and Tristan Burrell. Bakewell Town’s match with Wirksworth Town was decided by a goal in the 8th minute from Bakewell’s Rob Littlewood. Long Eaton United Community’s Ross McParland scored twice in their 3-1 defeat of Wirksworth Ivanhoe. Bartosz Korzeniewski was also on the scoresheet with Kyle Higton netting for Ivanhoe. Rowsley 86’s record now shows just one defeat in twelve games, they beat AFC Kilburn 7-1, William Fletcher leading the way with a hat trick, Andrew Roome, Toby McLean, Tim Baker and Sam Hoskin all on the scoresheet. Mickleover Sports were 4-0 winners at Holbrook St Michaels.

There were two matches in the Steel Beams Derby Presidents Cup. Harvey Grice got a hat trick and Curtis Taylor scored one as Alfreton Town won 4-0 at Cromford while Heanor Town beat Nottingham by two goals to one.

Richard Lane

Where next?

Central Midlands League Sportsman’s Dinner The Abacus Lighting Central Midlands Football League are hosting four European cup winners at their end of season Sportsman’s Dinner.
CML Respect award winners announced The Respect award winners for the period from November to January have been announced

Match centre

Black Dragon Badges North Division
Black Dragon Badges South Division
Macron Store Stoke Division One North

Latest photos

Long Eaton 3-3
5 photos
Long Eaton 3-3
Sutton 1-1
10 photos
Sutton 1-1
8 photos

Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.