League roundup for December 30th

5 months ago By Richard Lane

The final league roundup of 2017

The old year went out with a splash as the fixture list was shredded by waterlogged pitches, just eight matches surviving in the three divisions.

Eastwood Community swiftly avenged their defeat at Hucknall Town last Saturday as they scored a late goal to take all three points in the Black Dragon Badges South division’s match of the day. There were 87 minutes on the clock when Aaron Short hit home the only goal of the game to keep the Red Badgers well in contention. Rather more goals at Pinxton where the home side cantered to an 11-2 win over Keyworth United. Jay Cooper gave Pinxton an early lead which Keyworth wiped out from the penalty spot. Cooper took his personal Tally to four with a ten minute hat trick, Nathan Benger also scoring twice to give the home side an unassailable 6-1 half time lead. Keyworth pulled one back through a own goal before Scott Graham got a seventh on the hour and Benger completed his hat trick. A quickfire trio from Ryan Bates completed the scoring, giving Pinxton’s goal difference a healthy boost. There were plenty of goals also in the third match, Blidworth Welfare shading their match at Holbrook St Michaels 5-4. Lewis Weaver’s third minute opener gave first blood go to the visitors, Paul Fisher equalising six minutes later. Three goals in eight minutes, two from Josh Brentnall and a second for Weaver gave Blidworth a comfortable lead, Sam Williamson reducing the arrears before the interval. Fisher’s second and an own goal saw Holbrook level the scores but Blidworth clinched the match , Josh Henry getting the winner ten minutes from the end.

A turbulent couple of weeks for Black Dragon Badges North division leaders Harworth Colliery came to a positive end as they returned from Appleby Frodingham with a 5-0 win. Harworth led through a Lewis Francis goal five minutes before the break and went up a gear in the second half, Josh Davies doubling the score on 51 minutes and Kenzie Tomlinson getting a third fifteen minutes from the end. Shaun Mundy added two in the closing stages to maintain Harworth’s seven point lead. AFC Bentley stay second after a display full of character saw them come back from two goals down to beat Lincoln Moorlands Railway 3-2 at Newark Road. The Moors led at half time with an 18th minute goal from Jesse Anderson and got a second in the 51st minute, Andy Parrish the scorer. Bentley fought back, Alex Irwin pulling one back seven minutes later and Bradley Maddison levelling midway through the half. Sub Zack King completed the turnaround with winner on 84 minutes. Phoenix were the division’s other successful side, beating Askern 3-0 at Brinsworth. Jack Baines put them in front with 38 minutes on the clock, the other two goals coming late in the game, Chris Hopkins and Baines both netting in the lat eight minutes.

There were two games in the Macron Store Stoke Division One. Eastwood Community went fourteen points clear after a comfortable 7-2 win at bottom side Cromford. Tremere Lindo and Connor Wrenn led the way with two apiece, Callum Clarke, Kallum O’Dowd and Owen Everton also on target, while Adam Twigg scored both of Cromford’s goals. Radford beat Harworth Colliery 4-0 at Selhurst Street with Matt Fowler, Ryan Perkins, Ryan Smith and Jake Morris the scorers.

Richard Lane

Where next?

League roundup for January 6th All the news from the first Saturday of 2018
Leading Scorers - December 23rd League, League Cup and Floodlit Cup goals only.

Match centre


Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.