League roundup for January 13th

5 months ago By Richard Lane

All of the day's news and (most of) the scorers !!

As the weather finally relented, the weekend’s action got underway on Friday night as Eastwood Community hosted Aslockton & Orston, the home side taking the points following a 6-0 win.
The Black Dragon Badges South division title chasers were quick out of the blocks, Rian Charles opening their account on 14 minutes with Kieran Knight, a prolific scorer for the reserves, striking twice in seven minutes to put the Red Badgers three up by half time. Rory Smith got a fourth, five minutes after the interval with Callum McGarry and sub Joe Butler making it six, a result which keeps the pressure firmly on the top three. The three teams above them were also on the winning side on Saturday. Sherwood Colliery remain unbeaten after a 2-0 win at Linby Colliery. Both goals came in the first half, Julian Topliss and Max Curzon the scorers. Hucknall Town won by the same margin at Watnall Road in their match against Holbrook St Michaels. Jordan Phillips put the home side ahead on 12 minutes, Tevahn Tyrell adding the second with 64 minutes on the clock. Pinxton also gained maximum points, seeing off Hilton Harriers 4-1 at Wharf Road. Kieran Debrouwer gave Pinxton an early lead which was soon equalised, Nathan Benger restoring the lead with 15 played. The same pair sealed the points in the second half, Debrouwer getting his second on 65 minutes and Benger completing the scoring five minutes from time. Swanwick travelled to South Normanton and returned with the points after a 3-0 win. Guy Wilding led the way with a brace, Matthew Phillips also on target. The two teams at the foot of the table were both on the winning side. Ryan Fitzhugh’s 59th minute goal gave them a welcome win at home to Blidworth Welfare, while Teversal Reserves tasted success for only the second time in the league with a 2-1 away win at Mickleover RBL. Brandon Clarke put Tevie ahead three minutes before half time, Kurtis Bamford extending the lead just after the hour. Mickleover had to wait until the final minute before Abidemi Lamina score their goal.

In the Black Dragon North division, Harworth Colliery failed to win for only the fourth time this season, sharing the points at Staveley Reserves in a 1-1 draw. Harworth took a 66th minute lead through Shaun Mundy, the equaliser coming from Danny O’Donnell ten minutes later. Staveley had keeper Rio Alberry to thank for saving a point, an excellent save denying the visitors a late winner. AFC Bentley lost ground, going down to a 3-1 defeat at Dinnington Town. Dinnington went ahead with an 18th minute goal from Scott McKenna, Matt Bradley doubling the lead on the half hour. Bentley made a late attempt to rescue something from the game as Bradley Maddison pulled one back with eight minutes to play but Joe France pounced in the final minute to ensure the win. The match at Brumby Hall proved a close affair with Appleby Frodingham and Collingham playing out a 1-1 draw. Tom Dent gave Frod a 40th minute advantage, Ryan Rushen equalising for the visitors with 20 minutes to play. Lincoln Moorlands ran up a three goal lead in their home game with Phoenix. The visitors pulled back one before half time and another shortly after, but that was as near as they came, the Moors hitting another four, the match ending 7-2 to the hosts. Scorers were Robbie Smith (2), Sean Cann (2), Jordan Curtis, Jesse Anderson and Joe Ayres for Lincoln, Joe France and Adam Houghton for Phoenix. Tideswell United and Thorne Colliery shared the points in an eight goal thriller. Mitch Barclay struck first with a 4th minute goal for Tideswell before Luke Rafferty levelled on the stroke of half time. Rafferty struck again three minutes after the restart and Lewis Andrews extended Thorne’s lead on the hour. Jack Bradbury’s penalty on 82 minutes gave the home side hope which looked to be dashed when Paul Bradley scored four minutes later. In a grandstand finish, Bradbury and John Ballington scored in stoppage time to give Tideswell an unlikely point. Retford beat Brodsworth Welfare 2-0 at The Rail, Gaz Davies and Steve Hutchinson providing the goals. Clay Cross left it late to rescue the points as they squeezed past Dronfield Town Reserves 3-2 at Mill Lane. Fastest goal of the day came from Dronfield’s Adam Dobson, whose opener was timed at 20 seconds, Tyron O’Kane getting a second on 27 minutes. Ant Lynam scored from the penalty spot just after the hour, Jordan Hendley equalising fifteen minutes from the end, Lynam getting the decider with eight minutes to play. A Brad Davies goal in the 26th minute decided the game between Renishaw Rangers and Askern in the home side’s favour. The bottom two met at Station Road, the positions of Newark Town and Welbeck Lions remaining unchanged after a 2-2 draw. Welbeck were two up after 19 minutes with goals from Rob Holland and Dean Isaacs, before Newark’s keeper Luke Sheldon was forced off with a knee injury. Against the odds, the home side fought back in the second half, earning a point with two goals from Callum Ranyard on 61 and 74 minutes.

The place for goals was Coronation Park where runaway leaders Eastwood Community were 12-3 winners over Retford United in the Nacron Store Stoke Division One. Joe Butler found the net five times, while Kieran Knight followed up his pair for the first team the previous evening with another four goals. Danny Tring, Kurt Harrison and Jack Smith were the Red Badgers’ other marksmen. A Gavin McCready hat trick inspired a 4-3 win for AFC Kilburn at Harworth Colliery. Shane Piggott also scored for Kilburn, Harworth replying through Joe Colman, Mick Wibberley and Connor Brown. In the Holbrook derby, Sports took an early lead which was equalised by Dean Jones for St Michaels. Sam Collins restored Sports’ advantage , with Connor Mason and two from sub Lee Hiller giving Sports a 5-1 win. Charlie Miller scored a hat trick in Linby Colliery’s 5-1 win at Cromford. Linby’s other scorers were Toby Birch and Aiden Butler, Nassreddine Zayani netting for Cromford. Another hat trick hero was Sherwood Colliery’s Craig Buchanan in his side’s 6-2 defeat of second place Wirksworth Town, Sherwood’s other goals coming from Liam Beardsley, Joe Hodgkinson and Jordan Ingram.

Congratulations to Matlock Town Reserves who will contest the final of the Derbyshire FA Divisional Cup (North) in April after beating Shirebrook Town Reserves 3-1 at Causeway Lane with two goals from Billy Whitehead and one for Matt Coleman.
Richard Lane

Where next?

League roundup for January 20th All the action and scorers from today's matches
League roundup for January 6th All the news from the first Saturday of 2018

Match centre


Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.