League Roundup for January 19th

By Richard Lane

All the scores and scorers from today's matches.

The weather failed to make many inroads into today’s fixture list, just a handful of games falling to the mixture of frost, snow and rain.

The first Friday night game of the New Year saw Staveley Reserves pull off a significant win against Black Dragon badges North Division title chasers Clay Cross. In snowy conditions a first half goal from Jamie Damms proved sufficient to win the game. Despite a spirited second half display the leaders couldn’t find a way through the Staveley defence. The defeat was good news for the chasing pack who all picked up maximum points. Collingham were 2-1 winners over Renishaw Rangers at Station Road. Chris Self opened the scoring for the home side on 27 minutes, Craig Purcell equalising for Renishaw ten minutes later. The deciding goal came in the 69th minute, Simon Biggs striking to keep Collingham in second place. Retford travelled to AFC Bentley and were quickly off the mark with Adam Scott, Graeme Severn and Will Tomlinson all scoring in the first 15 minutes. Gaz Davies added a fourth on the half hour to put the visitors almost out of sight by the interval. Two in five minutes midway through the second half from Shay Evans-Booth added to Bentley’s woes though they did score through Michael Attard in the latter stages to make the final score 6-1. It was much closer at Retford United, who needed a 90th minute penalty to edge home 2-1 against Appleby Frodingham. Frod had taken the lead through Danny Boulton in the 22nd minute which they held until Jimmy Eyles levelled on the hour. The points looked about to be shared until Brandon Kane’s spot kick in the dying seconds. Some cheer at last for Newark Town who pulled off their first away win in fifteen months as they beat Phoenix 2-0. Rhys Stanley put them ahead on 29 minutes with Kieran Job getting the second in the 57th minute to seal the win. Thorne Colliery and Dinnington shared the spoils in a 2-2 draw at Moorends. After a goalless first half, the visitors took a two goal lead through Ryan hall and Fabian Johnson. Thorne fought back and two goals from Kirk Frost, the second from the penalty spot, proved enough to take a point.

Hucknall Town returned to the top of the South Division following a 3-0 defeat of bottom markers Welbeck Lions at Watnall Road. Sam Sims put Hucknall in front with 16 played, Joe Ashurst making it two on 23 minutes. Welbeck held firm until the 76th minute when Kajally Danso brought an end to the scoring. It’s been a tough few days for Underwood Villa who conceded seven for the second time in four days as they visited Pinxton. Kieron Debrouwer got two for the home side, the others coming from John Fones, Liam Green, Jay Cooper, Kirtis Bamford and Cameron Short with Underwood getting a consolation from Alex Mann. A see-saw match at Shaw Lane saw Holbrook Sports and Swanwick share eight goals. The Swans struck twice in the first ten minutes, Guy Wilding and Henry Brooks giving them the perfect start before Holbrook as Danny Mee ensured the points were shared in the final minute. A Sam Williamson double gave Holbrook St Michaels a 2-0 win at home to Linby Colliery. Josh Gregory hit all of Hilton Harriers goals as they beat Ashland Rovers 3-2 at The Meese, Ashland’s reply coming from Danny Bircumshaw and Paul Revuelta.

Only one of the three games in the Macron Store Stoke Division
One North survived, Nottingham beating Welbeck Lions 4-1 with goals from Elhadji Cisse (2), Ayleal Dill and Courtney Samuels.

Undefeated Sherwood Colliery reached the top of Division One South after a 7-1 win at AFC Kilburn in Division One South. There were two goals each for Julian Topliss and Micky Taylor with the others going to Yoandry Depass, Ricky Starbuck and Liam West. Adrian Knight was Kilburn’s scorer. Long Eaton United Community added to Cromford’s woes as they plundered twelve goals to take the visitors’ goals conceded column into three figures. Josh Lawe led the way with four goals, Patryk Goral and Ross McParland both got doubles with Aboo Younis, James Shaw, Jamie Light and James Wilson finishing off the dozen. In contrast a single strike from Jack Higton gave Wirksworth Ivanhoe the points at Chesterfield Town.

A soggy start for the Steel Beams Derby Presidents Cup with just one of the first three ties surviving as visitors Mickleover Sports beat Shirebrook Rangers 3-2. Finley Davies with Two and Tyler Johal were on target for Mickleover with Curt Hayden and Mark Turek the Shirebrook scorers.

Rowsley 86 are through to the final of the Derbyshire FA Divisional Cup North following a 2-1 defeat of Tintwistle Athletic. A battling performance was crowned with goals from William Fletcher and Aaron O’Neill. Rowsley now face Whaley Bridge Athletic in the final. An all CML tie in round two of the Doncaster and District FA Challenge Cup saw Sutton Rovers overcome Epworth Town Colts 2-0 with second half goals from Mitch Wain and Callum Stockton.

Richard Lane

Where next?

League Roundup for January 26th All the news from this afternoon's matches.
Promotion applicants revealed The FA have released the list of clubs who have submitted applications for promotion to Step 6.

Match centre

Black Dragon Badges North Division
Black Dragon Badges South Division
Macron Store Stoke Division One North

Latest photos

Hucknall Reserves 2-1
11 photos
Hucknall Reserves 2-1
Retford 2-2
15 photos
Retford 2-2
6 photos

Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.