The Saturday Roundup - September 7th

By Richard Lane

A roundup of all the weekend's matches

The weekend’s football opened with a seven goal thriller in the Black Dragon Badges South division between Ashland Rovers and Swanwick, who came back from the dead to win 4-3 in spectacular fashion.
Ashland were ahead after 4 minutes, Jonathan Castelli with the goal, Connor Barnes putting them two up with 28 minutes played. Swanwick launched an amazing comeback scoring three times in a six minute spell just after half time, Zak Melrose getting two and Guy Wilding the other. Lee Townsend levelled in the 66th minute but three minutes later Ian Milsom gave the Swans all three points. Jordan Black hit a 5th minute penalty to give Teversal Reserves the lead at Arnold Town, Josh Radford doubling the lead seven minutes before the break. Joe Butler reduced the lead five minutes after the restart, but Radford’s second gave Tevie some breathing space. Joe McLachlan gave the hosts a sniff of a point but Joe Fox got a fourth for the visitors two minutes from the end. Pinxton retained their 100% record making it three from three with a 2-1 win at Hilton Harriers. Rob Fretwell put the visitors a goal up at half time, John Fones adding a second just afterwards. Josh Gregory pulled one back for Hilton, but Pinxton saw the game out to take the points. First half goals from Adam Pynegar and Matt Harris were enough to see Holbrook St Michaels to a 2-0 win over Underwood Villa, who are still seeking their first points. Mickleover RBL’s difficult start to the season continued as they were soundly beaten 7-1 at home by Rowsley 86. Lewis Macaskill led the way for Rowsley with a hat trick, Jack Bradbury scored two with Noah Evans and Jack rose also on the scoresheet. Luke Thomas got a consolation goal for the Legion. Linby Colliery and Holbrook Sports finished goalless at Church Lane, Linby keeper Jack Leverton saving a penalty and a point for his team. Sherwood Colliery Reserves were 3-1 winners at Mansfield Hosiery Mills. The Millers took the lead with a Dominic Witton goal, but conceded an own goal to level the scores by half time. Second half strikes from Ben Rogers and Kurtis Bamford saw the Wood home.
Newark Town hit the top of the North division with an explosion of goals at Dronfield Town Reserves, the final score 10-3. George Asplin scored the first on 11 minutes, Dronfield equalising through an own goal. Asplin’s second, followed by goals from Lewis Chambers and Steve Carty gave the visitors an emphatic half time lead. Jack Durkin made it five from the penalty spot before David Parry pulled a goal back for the home team, but further goals for Newark came from Lewis King, Kieran Job and Jordan Thomas with Asplin adding two more to take his tally to four, while Jack Kitchen got a third for Dronfield. Dinnington Town had a second successive goalless draw, sharing the points with Crowle Colts. A Jacob Toomer goal after half an hour was sufficient to give Askern the points at Renishaw Rangers. AFC Bentley made good use of added time in their 2-0 defeat of Appleby Frodingham. Marcus Edwards gave them the lead at the very end of the first half while Michael Attard got the second in stoppage time at the end of the game. Collingham broke their scoring duck with a 2-1 win at Thorne Colliery. Sean James and Tommy Johnson were the scorers with Bradley Sparrow getting one for Thorne. It was the same score at Sutton Rovers, where Retford United took the points. Mark West put Retford ahead after 24 minutes, Callum Stockton bringing the sides level in the first minute of the second half. The winner came from Igor Mlynarski in the 51st minute. Staveley Reserves beat Phoenix 3-0.
Boynton Sports winning start to the season in the Macron Sports Division One North was rudely halted by Epworth Town Colts who returned home with a 6-2 scoreline in their favour. Gary Moment was Epworth’s hat trick hero with Ryan Douglas, Harrison Coley and Ritchie Burdett also on target, Boynton replying with goals from Jack Waddle and Connor Gregg. Nottingham beat Retford United by three clear goals with Seke Spence getting two and Mo Sillah the other. Selston and Chesterfield Town got their first points of the season in a 2-2 draw, Alex Neilson and Tyler Hook’s goals for Selston being cancelled out by Town’s Cory Burton and Jamie Smith.
In Division One South, Mickleover Sports went top after a 2-0 win against Long Eaton Community, Marcus Calderone and Surafei Tefera the scorers. The Higton brothers struck for Wirksworth Ivanhoe in their 3-0 defeat of Holbrook Sports, Jack scoring twice and Kyle once. Bakewell Town made a belated start to the season, letting a three goal lead slip before coming out on top against Sports Gateway 4-3. Jonathan Hutchinson’s double and one from Rob Littlewood gave Bakewell a healthy lead but they were pegged back by two from Kieran Knight and one by Louis Czerwak before Patrick Mosley nicked the points in the last minute. A single strike from Liam Groves ensured all three points for Woodhouse Colts in their home game against Ripley Town.

Only one of the three scheduled matches in the Steelbeams Derby Presidents Cup went ahead, St Josephs Rockware putting seven past Borrowash Victoria. Scorers for St Josephs were Daniel Wiltshire with a hat trick, Scott Wesley (2), Andrew Guest and Ben Brown.

Richard Lane

Where next?

Team of the Month award to Dinnington Dinnington Town were presented with their Team of the month award before Saturday's match with Crowle
New sponsors for the Division One Cup The Division One Cup has new sponsors who are the Mansfield Lodge Hotel

Latest photos

Pinxton FC 2019/20 Season
1 photo
Pinxton FC 2019/20 Season
7 photos
10 photos

Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.