Midweek Roundup for October 16th

By Richard Lane

A roundup of the midweek cup matches involving Central Midlands teams.


One of the two outstanding ties in the Buckingham Insurance League Cup went ahead at the third time of asking, Hilton Harriers making it into the second round winning 2-1 at Dronfield Town reserves. All of the goals came in the first twenty minutes, Josh Gregory and Chris Smith giving Harriers an early lead before Jack Kitchen pulled one back for the home side. Hilton now travel to Ripley on Saturday in round two.

A highly entertaining tie in the Notts FA Senior Cup saw Arnold Town stage a remarkable comeback to edge out Woodthorpe Park Rangers 5-4 at Eagle Valley. Ashley Foster put the home side ahead on 13 minutes, Woodthorpe equalising immediately afterwards and scoring two more within a minute just before half time. The match turned completely at the start of the second half as Chay Betteridge stored a remarkable hat trick between the 47th and 52nd minutes. Arnold then gifted an own goal before a stunning winner from Daniel Poole on 77 minutes finally settled a match which was a great advert for Step 7 football. The other two ties didn’t go so well for our sides, Collingham going down 6-1 at Dunkirk, George Hyde getting the goal on 29th minutes, while Mansfield Hosiery Mills at least had the consolation of an above average crowd after a 9-1 defeat to Newark Flowserve, Ben Aspinall the scorer for the Millers.


Three more Notts Senior Cup ties saw two CML sides make it into round two with a third coming close to joining them. Newark Town won through against Clifton All Whites on penalties following a 2-2 scoreline at the end of 90 minutes. After Clifton had gone in front in the 10th minute George Asplin equalised for Newark on 34 minutes. A penalty on the hour put the visitors back in front but Arron Martin’s 74th minute brought the scores level again. The game went straight to penalties which ended 4-3 in the home side’s favour. In the all Central Midlands tie Ashland Rovers were 2-0 winners against Underwood Villa, the goals coming from a Lee Townsend penalty and one from Hayden Wharmby. Linby Colliery came within a minute of winning their match with Eastwood Community. After conceding a goal in the first half Linby took the lead as Dom Baker struck on 66 minutes and Owen Everton got a second four minutes later. Linby held the lead until the 90th minute when they conceded the equaliser. Eastwood scored again in the first minute of extra time, adding a fourth in the 108th minute to make the final score 4-2 in their favour.

Richard Lane

Where next?

The Saturday Roundup - October 19th A roundup of this afternoon's Buckingham Insurance League Cup ties
The Saturday Roundup - October 12th A roundup of all the action from this afternoon's league and cup matches

Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.