The Saturday Roundup - August 31st

By Richard Lane

Today's League and FA Vase Roundup- all the scores and scorers

The Buildbase FA Vase took centre stage this week with five of our teams taking the first step on the journey. It didn’t turn out to be one of the more successful Vase days with only Retford United progressing into the next round, though two others went to extra time.

Retford beat North West Counties side Daisy Hill 3-2 at Cannon Park. Adam Watson put them ahead in the 4th minute, the visitors drawing level three minutes after half time. Zach Casburn regained Retford’s lead just before the hour but were pegged back again on 78 minutes. A goal in stoppage time from Oliver Lawrence sealed the win for the home side. Cruellest defeat of the day came at Watnall Road where Holbrook Sports came within minutes of toppling Hucknall Town both in normal time and extra time, going down 4-3. Amazingly the first goal didn’t arrive until the 85th minute when Lee Hillier scored for Holbrook, Hucknall levelling in the third minute of added time. Jordan Lee then put Holbrook 3-1 up in the first half of extra time, but they conceded a second just before the interval. As time ran down Hucknall snatched the win, scoring twice in the final two minutes of the game. Arnold Town took Shirebrook Town to the extra half hour at Langwith Road before bowing out 3-2. Shirebrook scored twice in the early stages before Kaylum Mitchell pulled one back two minutes before the break. Joe Butler got the equaliser with 82 minutes played, but Shirebrook had the last word, getting the winner seven minutes before the end of extra time. Pinxton also went out 3-2 at home to Birstall United. Rob Fretwell put Pinxton ahead, but the visitors scored three times before Tom Ellis reduced the gap, one which Pinxton couldn’t quite bridge. Harworth Colliery came up against Stockport Town, also of the North West Counties League. The visitors scored in the 13th and 23rd minutes and went three up with 68 minutes played. Jack Billau’s late reply was small consolation for the hosts.

Staveley reserves put on an inspired late show at Askern in the Black Dragon Badges North division, four of their goals in their 6-1 win coming in the last ten minutes. Joe Cheeseman gave them a 29th minute lead which Luke Gell doubled on the hour. Shaun Edwards got one for Askern on 65 minutes, but Staveley staged a grandstand finish, Gell getting a second and Luke Williams, Matt Parkin and Alex Newton all finding the net in the final ten. AFC Bentley opened their scoring account for the season, Paul Sherburn, Josh Paskell and Courtney Peynado the scorers in their 3-0 win at Crowle Colts. Phoenix travelled to Dronfield Town reserves and returned with maximum points after a 3-2 win. Greg Mason put Dronfield in front on 26 minutes, Farbod Yousefi equalising shortly afterwards. Mason got his second to restore his team’s lead but Keiron Sykes-Tobin on 70 minutes and Keegan Hepplestone five minutes later sent Phoenix home happy. Two of the three 100% records in the division went at Newark as the home side and Dinnington Town failed to find the net. A draw also at Stone Close where Renishaw Rangers let a two goal lead slip in the last eight minutes to draw 2-2 with Sutton Rovers. Nathan Jessop (33 minutes) and Luke Manlove on 70 minutes gave the home side the upper hand, but Callum Stockton halved the lead eight minutes from time, Adi Parker pinching a point in the last minute. Appleby Frodingham had a better afternoon as they won 3-2 at Thorne Colliery. Goals from Danny Own, Kyle Ladden and Paul Reilly broke Frod’s duck, with Trevor Hindson and Bradley Sparrow scoring for Thorne.

Clay Cross got the best possible start to their South division clash with Holbrook St Michaels, Ryan Ordidge putting them ahead in the first minute. The first minute of the second half also produced a goal for Holbrook’s Darren Cartwright before Josh Scully’s two goals on 71 and 73 minutes, both from free kicks changed the game. Morgan Holloway cut the lead with 82 played but the Millers held on to take the points. Ashland Rovers came from behind three times to inflict a 4-3 defeat on Mickleover RBL. Luke Thomas put the Legion ahead with the first of his three goals on 16 minutes, adding a second with 24 played. Connor Barnes got one for Rovers four minutes later with Adam Pugh bringing the scores level in the 38th minute. Thomas’s hat trick was completed two minutes later, Rovers taking the points through Mark Summers and Lee Townsend in the second half. Rowsley 86 and Blidworth Welfare took a point each in a 1-1 draw, Pete Stubley’s goal for Blidworth being chalked off by Jack Bradbury. There was also a point apiece for Swanwick and Mansfield Hosiery Mills, David Robinson’s brace for the Swans countered by Kian Brewin and Dominic Witton. Jordan Black was Teversal Reserves’ hero, scoring both of his side’s goals in a 2-1 win over Hilton Harriers who replied through Jamie Atkinson. Underwood Villa are still looking for their first points after going down 2-1 at home to Linby Colliery. Linby’s goals came from Tom Eastwood and Dave Jones, Josh Hunt scoring for Underwood.

Boynton Sports made it three from three in the Macron Store Stoke Division One with an 8-1 victory at Linby Colliery. Montelle Kamara bagged a hat trick, Conor Gregg added two with Jack Bennett, Dominic Dallas and Callum Littlejohn getting one each, Connor Richardson with Linby’s goal. Harworth Colliery came out on top in a tight game at Chesterfield Town, winning 4-3. Scorers for Harworth were Luke Jackson with two, Tom Pick and Shane Burton, while Lee Naughton, Cory Burton and Theo Jarrald were on target for the hosts. Epworth Town Colts started their campaign by beating nine-man Wakefield 6-1. Epworth’s goals came from Ritchie Burdett (2), Dan Taylor, Rhys Cumberlidge, Euan Sterling and Ryan Douglas. St Joseph’s Rockware of Worksop beat Retford United 3-2 with two goals from Thomas Mullen and ome from Tom Denton, Brandon Ashmore getting both for Retford

In Division One South Cromford and Wirksworth Town celebrated their first home game with a 5-0 win over Holbrook Sports, Josh Middleton and Toby Howard with two each, Dec Jenkins with the other. Long Eaton Community hammered fifteen past Borrowash Victoria. Aboo Younis led the onslaught with four, James Gale added a hat trick, Matthew Langton and James Taylor both got two with the others coming from Brad Wilson, James Shaw, Brandon Mannix and Dillon Rawson. Heanor Town were 6-3 winners at Sports Gateway. Scorers here were Kieran Smith (3), Carlus Grant, Corey Bonser and Callum James for Heanor, Volkan Olgun, Lewis Williams and Zia Douglas for Sports Gateway. Jamie Royle scored twice for Woodhouse Colts as they won 2-1 at Holbrook St Michaels who replied with an Ellis Butcher goal.

The opening game in the Steelbeams Derby President’s Cup went the way of FC Sez who beat Selston 5-1. Declan Smith and Daniel Jackson both scored twice with Sam McElroy adding one. Callum Howell was Selston’s scorer.

Richard Lane

Where next?

New sponsors for the Division One Cup The Division One Cup has new sponsors who are the Mansfield Lodge Hotel
Midweek Roundup for Augustl 28th A brief roundup of the three midweek matches in the CML

Match centre

Black Dragon Badges North Division
Black Dragon Badges South Division
Macron Store Stoke Division One North

Latest photos

Pinxton FC 2019/20 Season
1 photo
Pinxton FC 2019/20 Season
7 photos
10 photos

Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.