The Saturday Roundup - October 10th

By Richard Lane

All the news and scorers from Saturday's league and cup matches

The big match in the Premier North division took place under the Phoenix Park lights on Friday night, Dinnington Town bringing an end to Clay Cross Town’s perfect start to the season. The home side took the lead with a Jamie Hopkins goal, Max Glaves doubling the lead just before half time. Callam Lytham got a late reply for the Millers but the hosts finished 2-1 winners. Newark Town moved into second place with a 3-0 win over Sutton Rovers. Tom Moore got the Blues off to a perfect start with a 3rd minute goal before adding a second on 26 minutes. After Sutton had struck the woodwork twice in the second half, Kieron Job completed the win in the final minute. Retford United came from behind to defeat Staveley Reserves 3-2 at Cannon Park. Dean Conway opened the scoring in the 16th minute but Staveley took the lead with goals from Reece Clegg on 32 minutes and Brad Hextall ten minutes into the second half. Conway’s second levelled things on the hour mark, Igor Mlynarski grabbing the winner with eight minutes left. It was a red letter day for Renishaw as they got their first win in the league at AFC Phoenix where goals from Jimmy Savage and Carl Fleming proved decisive. It was also 2-0 at St Josephs Rockware where goals from Jack Hardy with a penalty and Jaden Thackeray gave the home side the points against Boynton Sports.

Rowsley 86 and Blidworth Welfare are still neck and neck at the top of the Premier South Division. Rowsley won 4-2 at Arnold in front on 52 minutes with Shomari Doyle doubling the lead with 68 played. Chris Neilson converted another spot kick to give Arnold hope but within a minute Pete Stubley restored the two goal lead. Neilson struck again from the spot two minutes from the end before Conor Hiley got the killer goal in stoppage time. Blidworth beat Mickleover Reserves 2-1 but had to rely on two late goals to see them home. Mickleover went ahead on 78 minutes through an own goal but two in three minutes from Paul Revuelta and Scott Taylor turned things round for the hosts. Underwood Villa are third following a 5-2 win at Nottingham FC. Darnell Smith scored twice for the Villa with Giovanni Andrew, Josh Hunt and Tom Grady all adding one apiece while Mykah Skervin claimed both for Nottingham. It was a close run thing at Kingsway Park as Ashland Rovers edged past South Normanton Athletic 4-3. Sam Cox and Luke Smithson put the Shiners two up before a Conor Barnes double made it all square at the break. Ben Jones and Liam Black put Ashland in front before a Cox penalty brought an end to the scoring. Holbrook St Michaels and Linby Colliery shared four goals and the points in a 2-2 draw. Scorers for Holbrook were Joe Brumby and Sam Chambers with Linby’s goals coming from Jack James and Sean Craven. Holbrook Sports opened their account with a 2-1 defeat of Teversal Reserves. The winning goals came from a John Cullen penalty and Lewis Durow, Tevie replying with one from Ryan Noon.

There were three matches in Division One Central. Cromford & Wirksworth Town hit six at home to Ashland Rovers. Dec Jenkins claimed a hat trick, Steve Mallinder added two, Toby Howard also on the scoresheet. There were plenty of goals at Wharf Road where Kilburn beat Pinxton 6-3. Chris Ward top scored with a hat trick for Kilburn, with Tremayne Anderson, Sean Fletcher and Stuart O’Toole completing the half dozen while Perry Wilson, Sam Kellam and a Harvey Ward were on target for Pinxton. A Billy Lobley double and one from Ryan Marchington gave Wirksworth Ivanhoe a 3-0 win over Holbrook St Michaels.

The first round of the Division One Cup saw eight teams advance to the next stage, joining Long Eaton Community who won in midweek. Melbourne Dynamo were the latest victims of the “Team of the Month Curse” as they went down to a single goal defeat at PMG Academy, the winning goal scored by Lamin Mannee. Two goals from Ben Cooke and one for Brooklyn Bullock gave Clifton All Whites a 3-1 win at South Normanton Athletic whose scorer was Gary Breach. Sheffield travelled to Ollerton Town, returning with a 6-1 win. Goals in the first ten minutes from Ben Harriott and Cameron Burgin set them on the way with four more added in the second half from Max Rhodes, Jamie Cowan, Burgin with his second and Jacob Casterton. Selston also ran in six against Underwood Villa. Sam Hutsby got a hat trick, Phillip Griffiths adding two, Jordan Lambert also finding the net. Two penalties from Becn Rach helped Bakewell Town to a 3-2 win at Ripley Town. Aaron Maund got the third with Ripley’s goals coming from Alex Crossley and a spectacular 30-yarder scored by Thomas Kent. Glapwell reached the second round after a 5-0 defeat of Shirebrook Soldiers. They went ahead in the 6th minute with a Charlie Bradwell goal, the others coming in the second half, Bradwell getting a second and Curtis McLeish, Callum Barker and Cory Burton rounding off the scoring. Tom Coupe and Travis Shooter’s goals were sufficient to give Linby Colliery a 2-0 win against Newark Town while Bessacarr won 4-2 awayc at Woodhouse Colts. James Bytheway struck twice with Evan Fortune-West and Tom McLaughlin adding one apiece while the home side’s scorers were Baillie Hajman and Wez O’Rourke.

Crowle Town Colts made the long trip to Alford Town in the first round of the Lincolnshire FA Junior Cup, the journey proving worthwhile as they won 7-2. Daniel Barrowcliffe, Kurt Robinson and Paul Boucher all scored twice, Tom Moulds adding the other goal.

Richard Lane

Where next?

The Midweek Roundup for October 14th All the news from the midweek matches in the Floodlit and Division One Cups
Team of the Month for September Congratulations to the Central Midlands League Team of the Month for September - Melbourne Dynamo

Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.