The Weekly Roundup for January 22nd

By Richard Lane

A roundup of the week's League and Cup matches in the Central Midlands

Thanks to Dinnington Town for the photo of their match against Wirksworth Ivanhoe


Two games survived the frosty conditions. Pinxton made it to the top of the Premier South division with a 6-2 win at Sherwood Colliery Reserves. There were two goals each for Rob Fretwell and Sion Green, Jay Cooper and Brad Foley adding one apiece. Sherwood replied through Ewan Robson and Tristan Burrell.

Clay Cross reached the second round of the Abacus Lighting Floodlit Cup by beating Dinnington Town 3-2 at Mill Lane. Lewis Macaskill gave them an 8th minute lead, Grant Mitchell doubling the score .with 22 minutes played, Dinnington’s Brandon Ashmore pulling one back four minutes before half time. Liam Scully got the Millers’ third five minutes into the second half, Aaron Moxam finishing the scoring a minute later.


The Friday night game saw Retford United progress to the second round of the Buckingham Insurance League Cup with a clear-cut 3-0 win against Newark Town. A Mark West penalty on 31 minutes separated the sides at the interval, Retford scoring further goals from Charlie Dawes on 53 minutes and Ben Thornton a quarter of an hour from the end.

Saturday’s ties produced little in the way of giantkilling acts, most games going by the form book. At Rowsley the home side took the lead against Glapwell with a Tim Baker goal before the visitors ran in five with Richie Matthews, Chaz Bradwell, Charlie Reeves, Ben Copestake and James Keenan all on target. It also finished 5-1 at Castle Donington where Rio Jacomb scored four for visitors Bottesford Town, Kieran Atkin with the other goal, Olly Smith with one for the home team. The four ties which saw Division One sides facing Premier Division opposition all ended in favour of the higher ranked teams. Heanor Town faced the biggest task as they took on South Division leaders Pinxton. Brad Foley put the visitors ahead in the third minute, Liam Carver adding a second five minutes before the break. Tom Widdowson’s well-flighted free kick completed the scoring. Long Eaton Community travelled to Retford FC winning 5-2. Andrew Tsolakis and Daniel Odunaya got two each with Simon Savage also scoring, Retford replying through Kris Scott and Luke Tong. A welcome win for Teversal Reserves, Jak Lightly scoring both as they beat Ripley Town 2-0. Mickleover RBL were the visitors to Cromford & Wirksworth Town and took a first half lead through Jack Smedley. They completed a 3-0 win with goals in the second half from Joe Conkleton and Josh Wright. Melbourne Dynamo made the long trip to Scunthorpe to face 780 JLC but returned empty handed as the hosts won 3-0 with Nathan Smith, Josh Law and Nathan Watson all finding the net. In a South Yorkshire derby Dearne & District were 5-2 winners at Askern Miners, For Dearne Billy Smith scored twice, with Cameron Hunt, Brad Sowerby and Ibrahim Bardack also on target, Askern’s goals came from Danny Jones and Jacob Toomer. Clay Cross defeated Ashland Rovers 4-1. Carl Whitford gave them a 5th minute lead, adding a second four minutes into the second half. Ashland got back into the tie with a 63rd minute penalty from Lewis Radford, but hopes of a comeback were dashed by goals in the last ten minutes by Lewis Macaskill and Billy Brooks. It was also 4-1 at Dinnington Town where the home side got the better of Wirksworth Ivanhoe. The home side’s goals came from Michael Golland, Aaron Moxam, Joe Storey and Jack Cully, Lucas Brough with Wirksworth’s reply. A 65th minute strike from Jack Thatcher put Hilton Harriers into the second round at the expense of Kiveton Miners Welfare. AFC Bentley were 3-1 winners at Nottingham. Josh Bowkett’s penalty put Bentley in front with Joe Smith scoring twice, Martin Bassey replying for Nottingham.

There were two matches in the Premier North division. Thorne Colliery moved to within a point of leaders Newark Town with a 3-1 defeat of Crowle Colts, Harry Brown (2) and Shay Evans-Booth with Thorne’s goals, Jimmy Walker replying for Crowle. Sutton Rovers visited AFC Phoenix and came away with a 3-2 win. Leyton Beck put Sutton in front after 7 minutes, Carlton Chisambara levelling with 22 played. Sutton regained the lead two minutes before half time through Ellis Pattison, but were immediately pegged back by a Chris Hopkins goal. The winner came on 73minutes, Adi Parker securing the points for Sutton.

The only game in the Premier South was at Blidworth Welfare where the home side beat Mansfield Hosiery Mills 3-0, the goals scored by Lee Townsend, Adi Harris and Alex Neilson.

A big win for Holbrook St Michaels in the Macron Store Nottingham Division One Central as they beat South Normanton Athletic 7-1. Will Welch got a hat trick with Fynn Marshall, James Knighton, Gianluca Gandola and Sam Smithers adding one each. Matt Fowler was the scorer for the Shiners.

Richard Lane

Where next?

Buckingham Insurance League Cup Draw The Second Round draw is as follows
The Central Midlands League Weekly Roundup All the the week's news from the Central Midlands

Match centre


Latest photos

Central Midlands Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.